Knee recovery time

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Knee recovery time

Postby zipwolf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:15 am

So i have yet another minor cartilage injury, i have a knee support, and i'm curious as to how long it takes on average for one of these to recover. Bloody knees.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby N0M4D » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:43 am

Hey, Zip :P

Knee injuries always suck big time: I should know, I’ve had my share.

The thing with knee cartilage (or indeed any cartilage) is that it is poor in blood vessels, resulting in little circulation of nutrients and so forth in the tissue, resulting in a delicate and reasonably long healing period. I will also depend on the extent of the damage, of course.

From what I’ve been told, cartilages usually get the necessary circulation/nutrients from compression and decompression of the tissue – basically, much in the same way a sponge soaks up water and releases it when you squeeze it. So, mild walking and isometric contractions of the quadriceps muscles (which strain the knee joint, although statically and therefore with less risk) should not only lead to a faster recovery but also prevent muscle atrophy.

Also, some people suggest ingesting a dietary supplement containing glucosamine and chondroitin (just Google the terms for more comprehensive info) can help heal cartilage, and taking it while healthy can prevent cartilage wear and tear. It’s sold over the counter in nutrition shops and most super markets.

Finally, and after the long rant, on the subject of average healing times: I have no clue. It all depends on the individual and the extent of the injury, I guess - ask your doctor to be safe. I’d just take it ease for a few weeks and start testing the knee out slowly.

Here’s hoping you get well soon! :D
Ricardo Carvalhosa
Almada, PORTUGAL

"I don't know Karate, but I know Ca-razy, and I'm not afraid to use it." - Roy O'Bannon, Shanghai Noon :mrgreen:
(thanks for the head's up, John :wink:)
N0M4D
Forum Addict

Postby darth_freak » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:03 am

chicken cartilage or porc ears are said to be good for joints.
In Portugal, Master Yang made me eay proc ears, telling me it was good because it contain some -ine-thing, it may be glucosamine (though I think I had heard glutamine).

So, get a roast chicken, close your eyes and eat cartilage...

Get well!
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Injury and recovery